Sunday, July 12, 2009

Ft. Stevens

Summer has been so full of fun that I haven't had a chance to write about it...

With our favorite family we went to Ft. Stevens for the week and we all had a blast. Ft. Stevens was built in the early 1860s to protect us from being attacked. It was up and running for about 80 years. Then in 1975 Oregon State parks took over turning it into a state park. Ok done with the history lesson...

Our first day the weather wasn't all that great so we decided to drive up and do the "Astoria thing". We visited the Column and flew wooden airplanes off the top, it is 125 feet tall, and always windy so they caught some good air! A 125 foot column and how do you get to the top? By walking up a 164 step spiral stair case...yeah it's a long walk up. We also visited the water front and showed the kids the Goonie house...AGAIN! I don't know how many times we have to see it before it gets old but Mike says that it never will get old. And no beach trip is complete without a trip to the good ol' DQ!The rest of the trip the weather was awesome so we spent lots of time bike riding, going to the beach, visiting the shipwreck, exploring the battle grounds, napping, eating and playing cards. At the Batteries I found Spencer's name on the wall, so I HAD to take his pic. One day the boys went fishing and caught a crab. It was a big sucker so they decided to cook it up. It was good, I think, Lexi and Spencer wouldn't let anyone have a bite. They loved it!Thanks Shawn, Boni, Little Shawn and Lexi for a great trip! Oh and thanks Taco, you were fun too :)!

No comments:

Finding Joy

As I sat across from my friend, I looked at her sad countenance. Her dropped shoulders, look of despair & the lack of joy in her eyes. I...