Friday, January 29, 2010

whisperings of the spirit


It was Thursday morning; Spencer was in the car and I was just running up the stairs to get Aubree out of bed when the phone rang. I looked at the caller ID and didn't recognize the number, I put the phone down and turned towards the stairs. Answer it, was the impression I got. I turned back around, grabbed the phone and said hello. To my surprise and delight it was mom and dad calling from South Africa! They wanted to know if I could log onto the computer so that we could chat on the webcam. I asked if they could call me later because we were just running out the door to take Spencer to preschool and then I was headed to the school to volunteer. With the time difference they would have had to call me the next day which we agreed would work out great!
I ran upstairs grabbed Aubree out of bed and as I was running down the stairs, a voice came to me as clear as day, call them back! I looked at the clock it was 9:30, Spencer was suppose to be there at 9:30 but I decided to call back. I looked on the computer and it didn't show them online. My heart sunk. Oh no, they didn't login I guess because I told them I couldn't talk. My heart sunk and then the voice came again, just try. It rang maybe twice, then I hear dads voice, "Is this thing...what's this here...how do...?"
"Dad, is that you? Can you see me?" I ask.
"Oh hi honey I can see you." Then I hear my mom. "Oh hi honey!" Then she oooed and aaaahed over Aubree, who is still half asleep and doesn't have a clue to what is going on. Then suddenly there they are...I can now see mom and dad on the webcam! We talked for just a couple of minutes, exchanged I love yous and miss yous and can't wait to see yous and then hung up after we agreed to talk tomorrow morning.
The next morning as promised mom called, but much to my surprise it was at 4:30 am. I was so groggy and out of it I didn't bother to get up and answer. A minute later I decided I'd better go check and see who it was. I looked at the caller ID and rolled my eyes...oh mom, you totally have the times mixed up! I brought the phone to bed with me incase she called back, I didn't want to miss her call again! Sure enough 4:55 am the phone rang again. Except it wasn't that high squeaky cheery mom voice I had heard to morning before. It was a mom voice I'd never heard.
She called to inform me that dad suffered a massive heart attack on the 18th hole of his golf game and didn't survive.
Of course I have had a mix of emotions most of which I don't understand, but time will heal. It's been a difficult but good past couple weeks. We have all been surrounded by tons of family and friends. I think our family has been blessed greatly in the past couple weeks and I have felt very loved. Every day I find card in my mailbox or flowers on my door step. I've had phone calls from people at church, friend showing up on my door step to take kids, meals around the clock and prayers that have lifted my spirits! I had a very busy day planned for that Friday afternoon and with one phone call my entire day was taken care of for me!
I can't say thank-you enough to my friends (that includes you Mikey, my bestest friend) who have loved and supported me through the past couple weeks, you have truly saved me. And I am SO grateful for the little promptings of the spirit. I will always cherish those last 5 minutes that I got to talk to my dad and that I got to tell him one last time that I loved him. I truly do love my dad and I am going to miss him a ton.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry Kelli. I wish I could have done more for you. I wish so badly that everyone could all live close to each other. That would make our lives so much easier. Just know I haven't stopped thinking about u and would do anything for u. Live you

Heather said...

Wow ... I don't know what to say. I have goose bumps and tear-filled eyes. I'm so glad that you had the nudge to call back and most importantly that you listened.

Unknown said...

Oh Kelli I am so sorry to hear that!!! Please know that I will be thinking of you and your family and praying for you and your sweet Mom.

Maughan"sters" said...

Kelli,
How sad. That's amazing that you listened and acted upon the spirit...you will NEVER forget that phone call.

Candice M said...

How incredible that you were able to have this experience. It was definitely a tender mercy from a loving Heavenly Father.

Erin said...

Kelli, I'm glad you posted this. It was a wonderful reminder to listen to this Spirit, even when we think it's something small. I'm sorry to hear about your Dad, but glad that the people around you stepped in to support you.
I've been enjoying catching up on your blog. Aubree is getting so big! You guys are great about getting out and having lots of adventures and trips...and then blogging them!

Finding Joy

As I sat across from my friend, I looked at her sad countenance. Her dropped shoulders, look of despair & the lack of joy in her eyes. I...