Monday, November 26, 2007

saturday is a special day...

I guess as a Deputies wife there are a few sacrifices you have to make. Mine, and my biggest challenge right now, is Sunday's. Mike, for almost 2 years now has worked Sundays. It's not only my challenge I guess it is a family one for sure. The challenge starts the min the kids get out of bed Sunday morning. I have to listen to Jake..."I don't want to go to church... I don't like primary... I hate church clothes...I want to wear my Transformer shirt, why can't I just wear my transformer shirt?" This goes on every Sunday morning, you think he would give up but bless his little heart he is relentless in his Sunday morning efforts. Then there is breakfast, every other day of the week he is fine with cereal, cereal is great but on Sunday morning he demands roll-ups (similar to crepes, a Bultez family tradition) knowing I don't have time to cook them. Also knowing darn well what I am going to say, "Jake, mommy doesn't have time to cook breakfast this morning, how about I make you roll-ups for lunch." His quick and never changing response is, "I don't want stupid roll-ups for stupid lunch!" Oh the joy of 9 AM church. Once we finally agree on appropriate church attire and food is figured out (that basically means Jake goes to church hungry snacking on Spencer's cheerios and crackers during sacrament) it's time to get in the car. While they are getting there church bags and buckles on I run upstairs and pull poor Spencer from dream land. I quickly get him dressed, grab his church bag, that is filled with toys, books, snacks, a sippy, hot breakfast and whatever else I think will keep him from screaming during sacrament and jump in the car. Even though I have already asked Kaylee and Jake on several occasions this morning, "Do you have everything you want to bring to church?" Jake always has something at the last min he has to have! So after we are all in the car Jake has to run upstairs to find that special Transformer that he forgot (my rule has allows been no toys at church but when you have to do it on your own the only rule is keep them happy). Phew, finally we are all in the car, mom's exhausted, but we made it we are on our way. I wish I could say that that is the worst of Sunday morning, but Sacrament is usually the grand finally as you can imagine. I am out numbered what can I say.
Well what inspired this blog entry was Jake's attire this Sunday. The song "Saturday is a Special Day" has new meaning for me these days, we do take our baths and make sure our church clothes are clean and make our "people" and we don't polish our shoes, we just find them. Well the church "person" that Jake makes is never the same "person" when he comes downstairs ready for church. He wanted to wear this t-shirt (mind you it's 30 degrees out) with a map of Alaska on it with words along the lines of "someone who loves me went to Alaska and bought me this shirt..." you know the one and I told him no, so he puts a clip-on tie on and asks, "how about this mom?" "No Jake!" So then he puts his sweater over the t-shirt and then clips the tie on his sweater and this time doesn't even ask, just walks out to the car, it was so cute I had to let that go, he got a lot of compliments on his tie that day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kelli I completely know what you mean, fortunately I get to have Jason to sit by during Sacrament meeting but he is always gone for church meetings by seven am and I am schlepping the kids there by nine!!

Heather said...

It's 9:06 Sunday morning as I'm reading this blog entry. I'm stalling because I really should be in the shower by now. Thankfully, I only have one kiddo to get ready for church and we don't have to leave the house until 10:20am. I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking about you at this moment and saying a little peaceful prayer for your morning. Hang in there ... we moms do the best we can!
-Heather

Finding Joy

As I sat across from my friend, I looked at her sad countenance. Her dropped shoulders, look of despair & the lack of joy in her eyes. I...