Saturday, December 1, 2007

well...kinda'

In High school I use to go to the tree lighting ceremony in Seattle, I loved it. It was always the day after Thanksgiving and was a good kick off to the Christmas season. Well I was reading the city upcoming events and saw there was a tree lighting on Saturday. Mike was of course working so I drug some friends along for this joyous holiday event. Santa and Misses Clause were going to be there and a band...sounds "magical"? It started to rain that afternoon and wouldn't let up, I wondered if I should cancel this trip? No, I can't let a little bad weather ruin it, I thought! It's going to be a wonderful evening with Santa and all the lights, it's suppose to be cold, it's Christmas. I grabbed the kids hats, gloves, umbrellas and warm coats and waited for our friends the Davis's to arrive. We arrive and pile out of the car, yes it's still raining and very cold. We walk down the street and if we would have been 30 seconds later, we would have missed the entire "magical" event :)! Santa arrived as we were crossing the street and then just like that the lights were on and the kids were cold and ready to go. That was all of about 2 minuets. They didn't want to take their picture by the tree, they didn't want to see Santa. Jake just kept asking if he could go sit in the car. Seeing how we parked a few blocks away this just wasn't really feasible. Well Jennifer and I decided the kids can wait in line to see Santa, if all else fails when we get to the front of the line, we'd just sit on Santa's lap!! Dang kids, we drag you out in the rain to see Santa, you WILL see him or else!! We are of course at the back of the line because we took so long convincing the kids that it would be fun to sit on Santa's lap. The line was pretty long and was of course outside and the boys wouldn't stop whining, "I'm cold!" So then we would ask them if they wanted to go? But because we spent so much energy telling them how they HAVE to go see Santa that didn't want to leave at this point. I finally picked Jake up to see why it was that he was so cold, he says, he "stepped" into a puddle and was completely wet from the knees down. Well no wonder, poor kid! By this time we were almost to the front of the line and Kaylee REALLY has to go the bathroom and so we went to ask misses Claus if we could come in to use the restroom and so politely like redirected us to the port-a-potty across the street. I think Kaylee would rather die than use an outhouse!! We opted to hold it! Hurray we finally made it to Santa, Jake opted out but the rest of us got to take our picture with Santa. Santa asked Kaylee what she wanted for Christmas, she gathered up all her courage and shrugged her shoulders and stared directly at her shoes. Then he asked her if she had been a good girl this year and I have to quote this..."Well...kinda" she says. It took everything in me to not crack up. At least I know she was being honest! When we were done with Santa, we found our way to the back and there was (lucky for Kaylee) a real bathroom.

Maybe not exactly "magical" but definitely memorable!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Yes indeed, memorable! Between your memories and mine, it is exactly how I remember it. What a night on Main St., Oregon City. It would have been magical if it was Main St., Disneyland, but who is keeping tabs!

Finding Joy

As I sat across from my friend, I looked at her sad countenance. Her dropped shoulders, look of despair & the lack of joy in her eyes. I...