Mike is a firm believer that kids do not need a million forms of entertainment at all times. Thus he does not believe in DVD players in the car. I am totally behind him 100% on this, although I will admit that it would be nice to throw in a movie sometimes on long car rides. Before the kids got in the car for our 7+ hour trip to Idaho we told them to grab something to do in the car. Jake grabbed a total of about 7 Lego's and a play cell phone and Kaylee also grabbed a play cell phone. These few items and a few road trip games (alphabet game, 20 questions, etc...) and shazam... They are content for the entire trip. At one point the said they were bored so I told them to take a nap...and they did!
My mom's side of the family had a family reunion in Idaho this year, day one was the county fair followed by a firework show. We spent the day driving so we missed the fair and met everyone at the park for dinner and fireworks. The fireworks were great, even Spence loved it.
CHAPTER THREE: FLOATING DOWN THE BOISE RIVER
When I found out that day two of the family reunion we would be floating down the Boise River I was excited. I remember floating down the river at the church property in Washington. It was so fun! I figured the kids would love it too. We stopped at Fred Meyers and bought an inflatable boat, left Spencer and Gracey with Grandma and we were set! The Bultez crew were in a 2 man boat and then had two tubes tied to them. The Edsons were in a four man boat! It was a real adventure and we only had one casualty, Jake's "special" (his words) light-up Transformer shirt. Mom was in deep trouble for that one! Sorry Jakey.
Sunday isn't really worth it's own chapter, it was the last day of the reunion. We had testimony meeting and then lunch and here was the rest of the day...typical!
CHAPTER FOUR: THE REAL FUN BEGINS
Last year we went to McCall, Idaho and had such a blast we decided to do a repeat. We left from Eric's Monday morning. This time Grandma and Grandpa tagged along which was fun. The kids played and kept each other busy while we all did our thing. We had a blast, minus the 5 am wake-up call from the annoying teenagers next door. Well they laughed and yelled themselves back to sleep around 8 and Mike was sure to have the kids play very loudly over in their campsite. There was talk of just sprinkling food all over their site and their tents so they would be run out by the 15 dozen chipmunks...no we didn't do that! We were so mad...I thought stupid teenagers were suppose to sleep in...I don't get it! We and everyone else in a mile radius did some complaining and needless to say we didn't hear a peep out of them the rest of the trip. Day 2 was our highlight day. We rented two jet skies and raced all over the lake. We had our tubes from floating down the river so we tied those up and pulled the kids around. Jake, William and Linnea loved it... The rest of the kids chickened out. Spencey didn't get to go in the tube but he did love his ride on the jet ski. Again Mike is now buggin' for jet skies, I don't know how many years I can put him off. The kids loved the smores as always, we had to do a little portion control and told them only one bag a night. I think that's enough for heaven's sake...but they had their complaints. They slept great and were good about going to sleep. We brought a port-a-crib for Spence and he was happy to go to sleep each night. We wore him out good, poor guy. Good times!
CHAPTER FIVE : THE LONG DRIVE HOME
It was a boring long drive home. Except one random tidbit. We get to some random point in our drive and Mike says, "Does anyone remember what song we were listening to on the way to Idaho when we were on this part of the freeway?" I said, "AH, no! And why would you ask that?!" I thought it was a totally ridiculous question and of course no one would remember something like that. Then little Kaylee pipes up, "I remember." (I am thinking right right!) "We were listening to the Enchanted song." I look at Mike and he shrugs his shoulders and says, "She's good! She's right!" She doesn't know why she remembers that and neither does Mike. How could they both remember that? She totally has a memory like Mike's when it comes to music. Mike played this game with them on the way there and on the way back, he would turn on a song and the first one to the guess the movie the song is from wins. Jake doesn't stand a chance against Kaylee. She was only stumped once and it was ..."Song of the South". That wasn't a fair one though, we have never seen that movie, but Mike is sure that Kay should know it since it is from her favorite ride at Disneyland..."Splash Mountain" with Briar Rabbit. I can't remember the song now but Mike put on this song and in the first three notes Kaylee says, "Night at the Museum". I said "No...what is this from?" Well apparently I was wrong, it was Night at the Museum. I don't know how she does it. Mike even put on a song from Fox and the Hound. Considering we only have that movie on VHS and we don't have a VCR hooked up to our TV, it has been years since she has seen that movie. She guessed it just like that, without delay. I don't understand, apparently I don't use that part of my brain.

1 comment:
She definitely takes after her daddy. Music has always been his specialty.
Post a Comment