Saturday, June 28, 2008

relay like a rockstar


Saturday was an amazing day...it was the Oregon City Relay For Life. Which is the American Cancer Societies signature fundraising event. Oregon City has been involved for the past 3 years now and I jumped on the band wagon last year. This year I decided to be a bit more involved and be a team captain. It was rewarding for sure. I had a team of 13 people and and for 24 hours one of us was walking the track...so the idea is cancer never sleeps, that is why it is a 24 hour event. The day started off hot and just got hotter!!! Thank goodness for lovely firefighters who filled out kiddy pool :)! I think we may have died without that pool! It maxed out at 100 freakin' degrees...Oregonians are not equip for that kind of heat! We tried various ways to keep cool. They had fun things going on all day. The girls got their nails done and their hair done. We got snow cones and cotton Candy...what more could you ask for? Our team fundraiser was a cake walk and we brought in almost $200 from it! I think we owe a little thanks to Cold Stones though. They donated ice cream pies and ice cream creations. I think his ice cream pies is what helped us drum up so much business!! Thank-you Jack!
I was fortunate (I actually do mean fortunate) to get the 3:30 am shift. It was a quit time to be alone, the moon was just a sliver but shining bright, it was an experience I wouldn't trade for anything. I thought it would be hard but it was awesome!
The Luminaria ceremony is another favorite part of the day. These bags that people dedicate to their loved ones line the track at night. Sadly a ginormous gust a wind came and blew them over and a few just didn't make it!! Kaylee's didn't...Nor did a few other things, like this poor canopy. I think this wind hit at like 1 amish, so that was cleanup time. Every one's canopies came down along with anything else the wind wanted to take with it! It was a fun day, the kids had a blast, they stayed all night with me, we had tents set up and they slept from about 11 until maybe 7:30. Mike and Spence went home and slept in their cozy beds! Here we are all tired and ready to go home...but we needed on last picture of us in our matching t-shirts. The theme this year was music, so they had these cute "relay like a rockstar" shirt made up. The kids wanted one to be like mom so they got one too and that is my friend Kim and her little girls Alissa. They were in the campsite next to us.

GOOD TIMES!!

No comments:

Finding Joy

As I sat across from my friend, I looked at her sad countenance. Her dropped shoulders, look of despair & the lack of joy in her eyes. I...