Wednesday, September 17, 2008

little blessings

I have been trying really hard to work on my year supply of food. Like many things in life this totally overwhelms me. I know how important it is and from time to time I have strange (bad) dreams that motivate me to work on it again. I have been buying way more of whatever it is that I am going to buy and rotate it. Like last week I needed Ketchup and it was on sale for .88 cents, so I bought 4 to add to the Edson Market. (Yes that is 3 large tubs of Nesquik. Powdered milk isn't going to taste good, I hope large amounts of chocolate might mask the taste).Mike was making fun of me but I told him we need to rethink the way we shop. Whenever pasta is on sale cheap I buy a few large bags. I think my kids could live on pasta, that is their favorite food. The other day Mike brought home an Albertsons flier from work with Mac and Cheese 12 for $8.99. See he's getting it! He also likes to comment on my new kitchen decor.I know it's not the most beautiful addition to the top of the kitchen cabinets but I have run out of room elsewhere. The top shelve of all my cabinets are filled with these great things...The inspiration behind today's blog those was these puppies...With buying all this extra stuff, you have to find things to keep it all in to keep the bugs out and to keep them fresh. The gray tubs I bought and have flour, sugar and rice in them. They are great twist top air tight. I have three more in the den filled with the same thing. I just rotate them when I use one up I refill it, stick it in the den and pull the new one. I really have been needing more though, but not wanting to spend more money on stupid tubs, I'd rather spend the money on more food! Today after the kids left for school Spencer and I went for our morning jog and I found 3 of these white tubs. I was so excited but there was no way I could fit them in the stroller and the garbage man was on my heels. (yes another dumpster dive find...no comments please! In my defence they were not IN the trash, they were on TOP of the recycle bins. Which Mike still argues is illegal...arrest me then!) I ran home showered and figured if this was meant to be :) then they would still be there when I drive back....aaahhhh...they were still there! The label on them was palm oil, olive oil and coconut oil so it took some degreasing, but at least I know it wasn't anything gross in there. Ya the little blessing you get when you are on the hunt. Although my market will never look like the Food Storage Deals lady's market...(HOLY COW!!!! Can you believe her food storage?) I can at least put forth my effort!!

5 comments:

Desiree said...

I'm impressed. Since we were in an apartment there's not much room for food storage. Now that we are in a house, we need to get on top of it.

Sarah said...

your gross... i bet you would dig someones leftovers out of the trash. thats ok, im still jealous that your doing it and youll have to give me a tip on how to start. especially when someone lives in a house like i do.

Jennifer said...

you go girl!

Heather said...

Yikes! That is amazing.
BTW, I LOVE the new top shelf decor, very stylish ;-)

Kate said...

That's awesome Kelli! Way to go!

Finding Joy

As I sat across from my friend, I looked at her sad countenance. Her dropped shoulders, look of despair & the lack of joy in her eyes. I...