A couple of days ago Jake saw gingerbread houses in the Michael's add. He was all excited and wanted to get one. They were having a Thanksgiving Day sale from 6-9 it said. I told him we would go over there in the morning and then we could make them after our Thanksgiving dinner. As soon as we woke up we all threw on some clothes, ate some breakfast and headed over there. What did we find? A completely empty parking lot...I had a bad feeling Jake was going to be mad! I run up to the door and read the sign 6 PM - 9 PM...ooops. Jake was sad but I told him we would stop by on our way home and make one tomorrow. Well of course the festivities didn't end till 9 and we didn't make it...ooops again! Jake was so mad at me when we got home, I felt bad...what do I do now? There is NO way I am taking three kids out on Black Friday!! I told him we could look online and see how to make our very own and we could go buy those gingerbread houses another day.
I looked online and the icing called for 6 egg whites and 4 (16 oz) bag of powdered sugar...4 bags? My year supply isn't that good!! I could not let Jake down again! My quick mom thinking came up with hot glueing graham crackers together. Then I looked through my crafts, and all the cupboards and found foam shapes and letters, buttons, marshmallows, sprinkles, icing in the little tubes, little gates...yay me...Jake is happy!
The kids had a blast and I think they turned out awesome! Jake got very creative and added a dog house and a snowman. Kaylee found letters to spell Jake so she put his name across her roof. She added a sprinkle door and a marshmallow chimney...very cute! 
Man am I thankful for hot glue...the inventor of that is another person I am going to hug when I get to heaven! How did anyone survive with out those things?! I don't get it!
PS - this is way better than carving pumpkins!

2 comments:
Your poor kids ... they don't have any fun, do they?
(You're an awesome mom!)
I grew up always doing the graham cracker versions, so I'm a bit partial to them. As a lazy mom though, we've opted for the Costco gingerbread kit most years. Mostly because it comes with all the candy, so I don't have to buy a bunch of different kinds. Now that we can buy as much (or as little, in this case) of different candies as we want from the bins at beloved Winco, the candy factor isn't that important. Maybe we'll get back to graham crakers next year.
Post a Comment