Sunday, February 1, 2009

OK, so here we are. It's Jan. 28th and Kelli wakes up to mild contractions at 1:30 am. She is already three days overdue and is WAY anxious to have this baby. She doesn't wake me up cause they are so mild. I have to work at 6:00 am so I guess she is just lookin' out for good ol' daddy. I wake up to my alarm at 5:00 and as I turn off the alarm I hear Kelli say "Mike? I've been having contractions." I say "Huh? What is going on? I don't understand? How long have you been having these? Do we need to get outta here?" She is calm and it doesn't sound like it is a big deal at all. She says, "Oh, I've been having them since about 1:30. So why don't you go to work and if we need to go to the hospital, I will call you." "Yeah, right...I'm gonna go to work." is what I'm thinkin. I say, "Uh, I don't think so Kelli...Why would I go to work? Especially with the fact that Spencer came out in four minutes. I'll call in." She tells me that she is only having contractions 6 minutes apart and was told not to come in until they were about 5 minutes apart. I asked her to call the hospital and tell them our situation and see what they say. So...20 minutes later I'm now ready to go to work if I need to, and Kelli says that the hospital told her she could come in if she wanted to but that it probably wasn't time yet. They wanted the contractions to be less than 5 minutes apart and a lot stronger. So, Kelli would rather wait at home than to be at the hospital uncomfortable and what not. So I stay home cause we are sure that the baby will be here sometime that day. Finally at about 9:00 Kelli goes to lay down to rest. At 10:30 I go to check on her and she says that she hasn't had any contractions since 9:00. I'm confused, needless to say so I start asking tons of questions and being an idiot cause I have no idea what is going on. Finally at about 11:15 Kelli is annoyed with my stupid questions and my pacing back and forth. She is frustrated and stressed and so am I and it is really showing. Kelli says "Hey, why don't you just go to work? You're bugging me." Well, that actually seems like a good idea. She isn't having contractions so maybe I should. So I do. I spend the rest of the day at work. Then...I spend the next day at work...NO BABY!!! Hmmm, looks like she isn't coming any time soon after all...

To be continued...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

ah the funny story of waiting for the baby!!! thats pretty hilarious! i laughed cuase i could see this acting out in my mind as your telling it!

Finding Joy

As I sat across from my friend, I looked at her sad countenance. Her dropped shoulders, look of despair & the lack of joy in her eyes. I...